Notes on Fauna from Several Deep-Sea Hydrothermal Vent and Cold Seep Soft-Sediment Communities
- 94 Downloads
Since our initial summary of the macrofauna of hydrothermal soft sediments of Guaymas Basin and the Galapagos Mounds (Grassle et al., 1985), we have obtained cores from other hydrothermal vent and cold seep sites. In June 1988 we sampled a newly discovered area of hydrothermal venting in soft-sediment at about 3,200 m depth in the Escanaba Trough region of the Gorda Ridge (Van Dover et al., this volume). We also obtained samples from soft-sediment hydrothermal environments of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, the Florida Escarpment cold seep (Hecker, 1985), and the Laurentian Fan cold seep (Mayer et al., 1988). Additional results from the 1985 Guaymas Basin Expedition are also summarized.
KeywordsHydrothermal Vent Cold Seep Fuca Ridge Guaymas Basin Seep Site
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Grassle JF, Brown-Leger LS, Morse-Porteous LS, Petrecca RF, Williams IP (1985) Deep-sea fauna of sediments in the vicinity of hydrothermal vents. Bull Biol Soc Wash 6:445–456.Google Scholar
- Grassle JF, Humphris SE, Rona PA, Thompson G, Van Dover CL (1986). Animals at Mid-Atlantic Ridge hydrothermal vents. EOS 67(44):1022.Google Scholar
- Hecker B (1985) Fauna from a cold sulfur-seep in the Gulf of Mexico: Comparison with hydrothermal vent communities and evolutionary implications. Bull Biol Soc Wash 6:465–473.Google Scholar
- Hessler R, Lonsdale P, Hawkins J (1988) Patterns on the ocean floor. New Sci 117:47–51.Google Scholar
- Jones ML (1985) On the Vestimentifera, new phylum: Six new species and other taxa, from hydrothermal vents and elsewhere. In: Jones ML (ed) The Hydrothermal Vents of the Eastern Pacific: An Overview.Google Scholar
- Jones ML (1985) On the Vestimentifera, new phylum: Six new species and other taxa, from hydrothermal vents and elsewhere Bull Biol Soc Wash 6:117–158.Google Scholar
- McLean JH (1985) Preliminary report on the limpets at hydrothermal vents. Bull Biol Soc Wash 6:159–166.Google Scholar
- Metvier B, Okutani T, Ohta S (1986) Calyptogena (Ectenagena) phaseoliformis n. sp., an unusual vesicomyid bivalve collected by the submersible Nautile from abyssal depths of the Japan and Kurile Trenches. Venus 45:75–86.Google Scholar