Documenting Difference: Migration and Identity in European Documentaries
- 9 Downloads
Vaughan offers an assessment of how recent European documentaries are responding to the ongoing migrant crisis, and, in so doing, he asks how these films trigger a re-evaluation of what it means to be ‘European’. The chapter also summarises how technological developments—such as digital image-making and online viewing platforms—have influenced nonfiction aesthetics and helped to create an interactive viewing culture where spectators are able to participate in these debates. ‘Documenting Difference’ ends with a detailed analysis of Gianfranco Rosi’s Fire at Sea (2016) which encourages audiences to acknowledge the plight of refugees as they arrive on the Italian island of Lampedusa by organising various textual representations of ‘seeing’.
- Agence France-Presse. 2016. Berlin Film Festival Awards Top Prize to Refugee Crisis Documentary Fire at Sea. The Guardian, February 21. https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/feb/21/berlin-film-festival-awards-top-prize-to-refugee-crisis-documentary-fire-at-sea.
- Aitken, Ian. 2001. European Film Theory and Cinema. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Creative Europe. 2018. Welcome to the MEDIA Sub-programme. http://edn.network/edn/. Accessed 5 December 2019.
- de Michiel, Helen & Zimmermann, Patricia R. 2013. Documentary as an Open Space. In The Documentary Film Book, ed. Brian Winston, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan on behalf of the British Film Institute.Google Scholar
- European Documentary Network. 2019. Stimulating Networks & Knowledge Within the Documentary Sector. http://edn.network/edn/. Accessed 5 December 2019.
- European Film Academy. 2019. European Film Academy Archive Page. https://www.europeanfilmacademy.org/Archive.39.0.html. Accessed 28 August 2018.
- Galt, Rosalind. 2006. The New European Cinema: Redrawing the Map. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Gunning, Tom. 1990. The Cinema of Attractions: Early Film, its Spectator and the Avant Garde. In Early Cinema: Space, Frame, Narrative, ed. Thomas Elsaesser, 56—62, London: BFI.Google Scholar
- Haver, Ron. 1976. Merian C. Cooper: First King of Kong. American Film 11 (3): 14–23.Google Scholar
- Juhasz, Alexandra, and Alisa Lebow, eds. 2015. A Companion to Contemporary Documentary Film. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Kushner, Tony. 2016. Lampedusa and the Migrant Crisis Ethics, Representation and History. Mobile Culture Studies Journal 2: 59–92.Google Scholar
- Loshitzky, Yosefa. 2010. Screening Strangers: Migration and Diaspora in Contemporary European Cinema. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Macaulay, Scott. 2013. 25 New Faces of Independent Film. Filmmaker Magazine. https://filmmakermagazine.com/people/iva-radivojevic-2/#.XBjcI_Z2tyw. Accessed 5 December 2019.
- Nowell-Smith, Geoffrey. 2007. Italian Neo-realism. In The Cinema Book, ed. Pam Cook, 3rd ed. London: BFI.Google Scholar
- Petrie, Duncan. 1992. Screening Europe: Image and Identity in Contemporary European Cinema. London: BFI.Google Scholar
- Reuschmann, Eva. 2003. Moving Pictures, Migrating Identities. Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi.Google Scholar