Are Market Competition and Investment Protection Incompatible in the EU Energy Sector?
- 4 Downloads
The chapter explores the interface between international investment law and EU competition law in the realm of renewable energy disputes. It underscores recent developments in the configuration of European Union (EU) investment policy and unveils the intricacies of the EU state aid regime. At the centre of this critical analysis lies the legal nature of the Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) as an international investment agreement. Whereas the Commission’s role in international investment law has increased over the last years, internal factors impede the development of an authentic EU investment policy. The chapter examines jointly the evolution of the case law of arbitral investment tribunals, the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) and the European Commission’s position on intra-EU investment treaties and state aid in the energy sector.
KeywordsEU investment policy Competition law Renewable energy disputes State aid Energy Charter Treaty
- Carducci G (2018) A state’s capacity and the EU’s competence to conclude a treaty, invalidate, terminate – and “Preclude” in Achmea – a treaty or BIT of Member States, a State’s consent to be bound by a treaty or to arbitration, under the law of treaties and EU law, and the CJEU’s decisions on EUSFTA and Achmea: their roles and interactions in treaty and investment arbitration. ICSID Rev Foreign Invest Law J 33(2):582–619Google Scholar
- Johnston A, Block G (2012) EU energy law. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Jones C (2016) EU energy law. Volume II. EU competition law and energy markets. Claeys & Casteels, Deventer/LeuvenGoogle Scholar
- Lavranos N (2018) A new Micula-type case on the horizon? January 25, 2018. Available at https://www.nl-investmentconsulting.com/2018/01/a-new-micula-type-case-on-the-horizon/. Accessed 15 Sept 2018
- Scholz U, Vohwinkel T (2017) The application of EU competition law in the energy sector. J Eur Compet Law Pract 8(3):190–204Google Scholar
- Selivanova Y (2018) Changes in renewables support policy and investment protection under the Energy Charter Treaty: analysis of jurisprudence and outlook for the current arbitration cases. ICSID Rev Foreign Invest Law JGoogle Scholar
- Talus K (2015) Special Issue on Renewable Energy Disputes TDM 3 (2015), www.transnational-dispute-management.com. Available at www.transnational-dispute-management.com/article.asp?key=2214. Accessed 15 Sept 2018