Additional Considerations Including China’s Belt and Road Initiative
- 3 Downloads
China’s investment initiatives include relations with many countries, especially through the Belt and Road Initiative. The Belt and Road (B&R) could be a mechanism for sustainability and positive change, but it could also prove problematic and easily become a debt trap. Similarly, inherent urban and infrastructure that the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) brings to developing nations could potentially increase carbon emissions, making the emissions targets in the Paris Agreement impossible to reach.
- Brookings Institute. 2019. The Critical Frontier, Reducing Emissions from China’s Belt and Road. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2019/04/25/the-critical-frontier-reducing-emissions-from-chinas-belt-and-road/. Accessed 5 Jan 2010.
- ClimateWorks Foundation. 2019. Decarbonizing the Belt and Road Initiative. https://www.climateworks.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/BRI_Exec_Summary_v10-screen_pages_lo-1.pdf. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.
- CSIS. 2019. Greening or Greenwashing the Belt and Road Initiative. https://www.csis.org/analysis/greening-or-greenwashing-belt-and-road-initiative. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.
- Foreign Policy Research Institute. 2019. Unequal Sequal: China’s Belt and Road Initiative. https://www.fpri.org/article/2019/08/unequal-sequel-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative/. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.
- Nicholas Institute, Duke University. 2019. Belt and Road Initiative. https://nicholasinstitute.duke.edu/project/belt-and-road-initiative. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.
- The Guardian. 2019. China’s Belt and Road Initiative Criticised for Poor Standards and ‘Wasteful’ Spending. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3014214/chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-criticised-poor-standards-and. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.
- Yale Environment 360. 2019. How China’s Big Overseas Initiative Threatens Global Climate Progress. https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-chinas-big-overseas-initiative-threatens-climate-progress. Accessed 5 Jan 2020.