MR: What We Need to Know to Start to Interpret Radiological Pictures
- 151 Downloads
Magnetic resonance (MR) with cholangiopancreatography imaging has evolved considerably in the last decades. Improving in spatial resolution and speed of acquisition, MR provides comprehensive information to evaluate the full range of biliary and pancreatic diseases in a single session, without using any ionizing radiation. Furthermore, MR cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) has an accepted main role in the study of many biliary and pancreatic disorders, becoming a noninvasive diagnostic alternative to endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP).
A knowledge of the different MR imaging sequences and their potential clinical applications and limitations for cholangiopancreatographic evaluation is as essential as a familiarity with the spectrum of possible biliary and pancreatic findings. The main goals are to accurately identify and characterize the disease processes and to provide effective guidance for treatment.
KeywordsMR imaging MR cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) Secretin-MRCP Biliary system Pancreatic ducts Pancreas
Secretin-MRCP with physiological compliance of the MPD and normal duodenal filling beyond the genu inferius (MP4 1259 kb)
Secretin-MRCP with anomalous pancreaticobiliary junction due to the presence of common bile channel 15 mm length and reflux of pancreatic fluid in the biliary tree becoming progressively brighter after secretin administration (MP4 1558 kb)
Secretin-MRCP with sphincter of Oddi dysfunction due to a persistent dilatation of the MPD 10 min after secretin administration (MP4 2187 kb)
- 12.Kim MJ, Han SJ, Yoon CS, Kim JH, Oh JT, Chung KS, et al. Using MR cholangiopancreatography to reveal anomalous pancreaticobiliary ductal union in infants and children with choledochal cysts. Am J Roentgenol. 2002;179(1):209–14.Google Scholar
- 23.Lowe RC. Epidemiology, pathogenesis and classification of cholangiocarcinoma. UpToDate 2019.Google Scholar
- 34.Mariani A, Curioni S, Zanello A, Passaretti S, Masci E, Rossi M, et al. Secretin MRCP and endoscopic pancreatic manometry in the evaluation of sphincter of Oddi function: a comparative pilot study in patients with idiopathic recurrent pancreatitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2003;58:847–52.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Lewis RB, Lattin GE Jr, Paal E. Pancreatic endocrine tumors: radiologic-clinicopathologic correlation. Radiology. 2010;30(6):1445–64.Google Scholar
- 50.Tanaka M, Fernández-Del Castillo C, Kamisawa T, Jang JY, Levy P, Ohtsuka T, et al. Revisions of international consensus Fukuoka guidelines for the management of IPMN of the pancreas. Pancreatology. 2017;17(5):738–53.Google Scholar
- 54.Ventriglia A, Manfredi R, Mehrabi S, Boninsegna E, Negrelli R, Pedrinolla B, et al. MRI features of solid pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas. Abdom Radiol. 2014;39(6):1213–20.Google Scholar