Symbolic Calculations in Studying the Stability of Dynamically Symmetric Satellite Motion
- 632 Downloads
The stability of cylindrical precession of the dynamically symmetric satellite in the Newtonian gravitational field is studied. We consider the case when a center of mass of the satellite moves in an elliptic orbit, while the satellite rotates uniformly about the axis of its dynamical symmetry that is perpendicular to the orbit plane. In the case of the resonance 3:2 (Mercury type resonance) we have found the domains of instability of cylindrical precession of the satellite in the Liapunov sense and domains of its linear stability in the parameter space. Using the infinite determinant method we have calculated analytically the boundaries of the domains of instability as power series in the eccentricity of the orbit. All the calculations have been done with the computer algebra system Mathematica.
KeywordsStability Boundary Orbit Plane Computer Algebra System Elliptic Orbit Characteristic Exponent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Beletskii, V.V.: The motion of an artificial satellite about its center of mass in a gravitational field. Moscow Univ. Press (1975) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 3.Markeev, A.P., Chekhovskaya, T.N.: On the stability of cylindrical precession of a satellite on the elliptic orbit. Prikl. Math. Mech. 40, 1040–1047 (1976) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 5.Markeev, A.P.: The stability of hamiltonian systems. In: Matrosov, V.M., Rumyantsev, V.V., Karapetyan, A.V. (eds.) Nonlinear mechanics, Fizmatlit, Moscow, pp. 114–130 (2001) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 6.Markeev, A.P.: The libration points in celestial mechanics and cosmic dynamics, Nauka, Moscow (1978) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 10.Prokopenya, A.N.: Studying stability of the equilibrium solutions in the restricted many-body problems. In: Mitic, P., Ramsden, P., Carne, J. (eds.) Challenging the Boundaries of Symbolic Computation, Proc. 5th Int. Mathematica Symposium, London, Great Britain, pp. 105–112. Imperial College Press, London (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Liapunov, A.M.: General problem about the stability of motion, Gostekhizdat, Moscow (1950) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 13.Merkin, D.R.: Introduction to the Theory of Stability. Springer, Berlin (1997)Google Scholar
- 14.Grimshaw, R.: Nonlinear Ordinary Differential Equations. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Cesari, L.: Asymptotic behaviour and stability problems in ordinary differential equations, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New York (1964)Google Scholar
- 16.Landau, L.D., Lifshits, E.M.: Theoretical Physics, 4th edn. Mechanics, vol. 1. Nauka, Moscow (1988) (in Russian) Google Scholar