Enhanced Power-Aware Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
- 422 Downloads
The Route re-establishment methods that intend to extend the lifetime of the network attempt to find a new route periodically not to overly consume the energy of certain nodes. They outperform other algorithms in the network lifetime aspect, however, they require heavy signaling overheads because new routes are found based on the flooding method and route re-establishments occur frequently as a result. Because of the overhead they often can not extend the lifetime of the network as much as they want. In the paper, we propose a new maintenance algorithm which considers the costs associated with packet transmission and route re-establishment at the same time. Since the proposed algorithm considers packet transmission and future route re-establishment costs at the same time when it initially finds the route, it spends less energy to transmit the packets while evenly consuming the energy of the node as much as possible. Simulation results show that the proposed algorithm outperforms other route re-establishment methods.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Maleki, M., Dantu, K., Pedram, M.: Power-aware Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. ISLPED, pp. 72–75 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Kim, D.K., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J., Obraczka, K.: Performance Analysis of Power-Aware Route Selection Protocols in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. IEEE Networks (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Youssef, M.A., Younis, M.F., Arisha, K.A.: Performance Evaluation of an Energy-Aware Routing Protocol for Sensor Networks. In: Proc. ICWN 2002 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Hong, X., Xu, K., Gerla, M.: Scalable Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Network 16, 11–21 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Mauve, M., Widmer, J.: A Survey on Position-Based Routing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE 15, 30–39 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Akyildiz, I.F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Cayirci, E.: A Survey on Sensor Networks. Communications Magazine, 102–114 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Tsudaka, K., Kawahara, M., Matsumoto, A., Okada, H.: Power Control Routing for Multi Hop Wireless Ad-hoc Network. In: GLOBECOM 2001, vol. 5, pp. 2819–2924 (2001)Google Scholar