Monotone Classification by Function Decomposition
- 550 Downloads
The paper focuses on the problem of classification by function decomposition within the frame of monotone classification. We propose a decomposition method for discrete functions which can be applied to monotone problems in order to generate a monotone classifier based on the extracted concept hierarchy. We formulate and prove a criterion for the existence of a positive extension of the scheme f=g(S 0,h(S 1)) in the context of discrete functions. We also propose a method for finding an assignment for the intermediate concept with a minimal number of values.
KeywordsBoolean Function Discrete Function Decomposition Tree Default Rule Constraint Graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bioch, J.C., Popova, V.: Monotone Decision Trees and Noisy Data. In: Blockeel, H., Denecker, M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 14th Belgium-Dutch Conference on Artificial Intelligence (BNAIC 2002), Leuven, pp. 19–26 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Bioch, J.C., Potharst, R.: Decision Trees for Monotone Classification. In: van Marcke, K., Daelmans, W. (eds.) Proceedings of the Dutch Artificial Conference on Artificial Intelligence (NAIC 1997), pp. 361–369 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Blake, C.L., Mertz, C.J.: UCI Repository of machine learning databases. University of California. Department of Information and Computer Science, Irvine (1998), http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html
- 4.Bohanec, M., Rajkovič, V.: DEX: An expert system shell for decision support. Sistemica 1, 145–157 (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.Popova, V.: Knowledge Discovery and Monotonicity, PhD Thesis, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Potharst, R., Bioch, J.C.: Decision Trees for Ordinal Classification. Intelligent Data Analysis 4, 1–15 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Shapiro, A.D.: Structured induction in expert systems. Turing Institute Press in association with Addison-Wesley, Wokingham, UK (1987)Google Scholar
- 10.Zupan, B.: Machine learning by function decomposition. PhD Thesis, University of Ljubljana (1997)Google Scholar