Provable Security of On-Demand Distance Vector Routing in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
- 530 Downloads
In this paper, we propose a framework for the security analysis of on-demand, distance vector routing protocols for ad hoc networks, such as AODV, SAODV, and ARAN. The proposed approach is an adaptation of the simulation paradigm that is used extensively for the analysis of cryptographic algorithms and protocols, and it provides a rigorous method for proving that a given routing protocol is secure. We demonstrate the approach by representing known and new attacks on SAODV in our framework, and by proving that ARAN is secure in our model.
KeywordsRoute Discovery Route Request Route Reply Route Discovery Process Provable Security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ács, G., Buttyán, L., Vajda, I.: Provably Secure On-demand Source Routing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Technical Report, Budapest University of Technology and Economics (March 2005), Available on-line at http://www.hit.bme.hu/~buttyan/publications.html
- 3.Buttyán, L., Vajda, I.: Towards provable security for ad hoc routing protocols. In: Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Security in Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (SASN) (October 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Focardi, R., Gorrieri, R. (eds.): Foundations of Security Analysis and Design. LNCS, vol. 2171. Springer, Heidelberg (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Hu, Y.-C., Perrig, A., Johnson, D.: Ariadne: A secure on-demonad routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Mobicom (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Mao, W.: Modern Cryptography: Theory and Practice. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Marshall, J.: An Analysis of the Secure Routing Protocol for mobile ad hoc network route discovery: using intuitive reasoning and formal verification to identify flaws. MSc thesis, Department of Computer Science, Florida State University (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Papadimitratos, P., Haas, Z.: Secure routing for mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of SCS Communication Networks and Distributed Systems Modelling Simulation Conference, CNDS (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Perkins, C., Royer, E.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector routing. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications, February 1999, pp. 90–100 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Sanzgiri, K., Dahill, B., Levine, B., Shields, C., Belding-Royer, E.: A secure routing protocol for ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Network Protocols, ICNP (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Zapata, M.G., Asokan, N.: Securing ad hoc routing protocols. In: Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Wireless Security, WiSe (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, S., Baras, J.: Modeling vulnerabilities of ad hoc routing protocols. In: Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Security of Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks (October 2003)Google Scholar