Error Resilient Image Authentication Using Feature Statistical and Spatial Properties
- 831 Downloads
The pervasive distribution of digital images triggers an emergent need of authenticating degraded images by lossy compression and transmission. This paper proposes a robust content-based image authentication scheme for image transmissions over lossy channels. Content-based image authentication typically assesses authenticity based on a distance measure of feature differences between the testing image and its original. Commonly employed distance measures such as the Minkowski measures may not be adequate for content-based image authentication since they do not exploit statistical and spatial properties of the feature differences. This proposed error resilient scheme is based on a statistics- and spatiality-based measure (SSM) of feature differences. This measure is motivated by an observation that most malicious manipulations are localized whereas acceptable manipulations cause global distortions. Experimental results show that SSM is better than previous used measures in distinguishing malicious manipulations from acceptable ones, and the proposed SSM-based scheme is robust to transmission errors and other acceptable manipulations, and is sensitive malicious image modifications.
KeywordsImage Authentication Error Resilience Feature Distance Measure Image Transmission Digital Watermarking Digital Signature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Erceg, V., Hari, K.: Channel Models for Fixed Wireless Applications. IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access Working Group (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Golle, P., Modadugu, N.: Authenticating Streamed Data in the Presence of Random Packet Loss. In: Proceedings of the Symposium on Network and Distributed Systems Security, pp. 13–22 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Perrig, A., Canetti, R., Song, D., Tygar, J.D.: Efficient and Secure Source Authentication for Multicast. In: Proceedings of Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, pp. 35–46 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Sun, Q., Chang, S.F.: Semi-fragile Image Authentication using Generic Wavelet Domain Features and ECC. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Rochester, USA (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Schneider, M., Chang, S.F.: A Robust Content-based Digital Signature for Image Authentication. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), vol. 3, pp. 227–230 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, B., Chang, E., Wu, Y.: Discovery of a Perceptual Distance Function for Measuring Image Similarity. ACM Multimedia Journal Special Issue on Content-based Image Retrieval 8(6), 512–522 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Dittmann, J., Steinmetz, A., Steinmetz, R.: Content-based Digital Signature for Motion Pictures Authentication and Content-fragile Watermarking. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems, vol. 2, pp. 209–213 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Ye, S., Sun, Q., Chang, E.C.: Edge Directed Filter based Error Concealment for Wavelet-based Images. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Singapore (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Jain, R., Kasturi, R., Schunck, B.G.: Machine Vision. McGraw Hill, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 16.Ye, S., Lin, X., Sun, Q.: Content Based Error Detection and Concealment for Image Transmission over Wireless Channel. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Thailand (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 17.Boliek, M.: JPEG 2000 Final Committee Draft, ISO/IEC FCD1.5444-1 (March 2000)Google Scholar