Actuation Methods For Human-Centered Robotics and Associated Control Challenges
- 464 Downloads
In recent years, many successful robotic manipulator designs have been introduced. However, there remains the challenge of designing a manipulator that possesses the inherent safety characteristics necessary for human-centered robotics. In this paper, we describe recent developments in low impedance actuation that have allowed for improvements in the safety characteristics of human-centered manipulators. In addition, the control challenges unique to the use of low impedance actuation are discussed along with possible control strategies for their successful implementation.
KeywordsJoint Actuator Transmission Zero Inherent Safety Actuation Approach Open Loop Mode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zinn, M., Khatib, O., Roth, B., Salisbury, J.K. (2002) A New Actuation Approach for Human Friendly Robot Design, Proceedings of Int. Symposium on Experimental Robotics, Sant’Angelo d’Ischia, Italy, 2002Google Scholar
- 2.Hollerbach, J., Hunter, I., Ballantyne, J. (1991) A Comparative Analysis of Actuator Technologies for Robotics, Robotics Review 2, 299–342, MIT Press 1991Google Scholar
- 4.Hirzinger, G., Albu-Schäffer, A., Hähnle, M., Schaefer, I., Sporer, N., (2001) On a New Generation of Torque Controlled Light-Weight Robots, ICRA, Seoul, Korea, May 21–26, 2001Google Scholar
- 5.Pratt, G., Williamson, M. (1995) Series Elastic Actuators, Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 399–406Google Scholar
- 6.Robinson, D. (2000) Design and Analysis of Series Elasticity in Closed-loop Actuator Force Control, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 7.Morrel, J.B. (1996) Parallel Coupled Micro-Macro Actuators, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ellis, G., Lorenz, R.D., (2000) Resonant Load Control Methods for Industrial Servo Drives, Proceedings of IEEE IAS (Rome), 2000Google Scholar