The Rectangle Attack — Rectangling the Serpent
- 1.8k Downloads
Serpent is one of the 5 AES finalists. The best attack published so far analyzes up to 9 rounds. In this paper we present attacks on 7-round, 8-round, and 10-round variants of Serpent. We attack a 7-round variant with all key lengths, and 8- and 10-round variants with 256-bit keys. The 10-round attack on the 256-bit keys variants is the best published attack on the cipher. The attack enhances the amplified boomerang attack and uses better differentials. We also present the best 3-round, 4-round, 5-round and 6-round differential characteristics of Serpent.
- 1.R. Anderson, E. Biham, L.R. Knudsen, Serpent: A Proposal for the Advanced Encryption Standard, NIST AES Proposal, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Biham, A Note on Comparing the AES Candidates, Second AES Candidate Conference, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Biham, A. Shamir, Differential Cryptanalysis of the Data Encryption Standard, Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.O. Dunkelman, An Analysis of Serpent-p and Serpent-p-ns, presented at the rump session of the Second AES Candidate Conference, 1999. Available on-line at http://vipe.technion.ac.il/~orrd/crypt/.
- 5.T. Kohno, J. Kelsey, B. Schneier, Preliminary Cryptanalysis of Reduced-Round Serpent, Third AES Candidate Conference, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Kelsey, T. Kohno, B. Schneier, Amplified Boomerang Attacks Against Reduced-Round MARS and Serpent, proceedings of Fast Software Encryption 2000, to appear.Google Scholar
- 7.L.R. Knudsen, Truncated and Higher Order Differentials, proceedings of Fast Software Encryption 2, Springer-Verlag, LNCS 1008, pp. 196–211, 1995.Google Scholar
- 8.NIST, A Request for Candidate Algorithm Nominations for the AES, available on-line at http://www.nist.gov/aes/.
- 9.D. Wagner, The Boomerang Attack, proceedings of Fast Software Encryption 1999, Springer Verlag, LNCS 1636, pp. 156–170, 1999.Google Scholar
- 10.X.Y. Wang, L.C.K. Hui, C.F. Chong, W.W. Tsang, H.W. Chan, The Differential Cryptanalysis of an AES Finalist-Serpent, Technical Report TR-2000-04. Available on-line at: http://www.csis.hku.hk/research/techreps/.