External Ontologies in the Semantic Web
- 154 Downloads
The Semantic Web aims at easy integration and usage of content by building on a semi-structured data model where data semantics are explicitly specified through ontologies. The use of ontologies in real-world applications such as community portals has shown that a new level of data independence is required for ontology-based applications for example to allow the customization of information towards the needs of other agents. This requires control over the republishing of data and requires transformation of data across source databases. We address this issue and introduce external ontologies which are constituted of source data from several databases and views spanning across databases.
KeywordsResource Description Framework Class Hierarchy Query Graph Community Portal Inheritance Hierarchy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Alexaki, V. Christophides, G. Karvounarakis, D. Plexousakis, K. Tolle, Bernd Amann, Irini Fundulaki, Michel Scholl, and Anne-Marie Vercoustre. Managing RDF metadata for community webs. In (WCM’00), Salt Lake City, Utah, pages 140–151, October 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Tim Berners-Lee. XML 2000-Semantic Web Talk. Internet: http://www.w3.org/2000/Talks/1206-xml2k-tbö/slide10-0.html, december 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Boag, D. Chamberlin, and al. XQuery 1.0: An XML Query Language. Technical report, W3C, April 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.Dan Brickley and R. V. Guha. Resource description framework (RDF) schema specification 1.0. Internet: http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-rdf-schema-20000372/, 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.O. Lassila and R. Swick. Resource description framework (RDF) model and syntax specification. Internet: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/, 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Alexander Maedche, Boris Motik, Nuno Silva, and Raphael Volz. MAFRA-a mapping framework for distributed ontologies. In Proc. of EKAW02, Siguenza, Spain, October 2002.Google Scholar
- 7.Alexander Maedche, Steffen Staab, Rudi Studer, York Sure, and Raphael Volz. Seal tying up information integration and web site management by ontologies. In IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, volume 25, March 2002.Google Scholar
- 8.Prasenjit Mitra, Gio Wiederhold, and Martin L. Kersten. A graph-oriented model for articulation of ontology interdependencies. In Proc. of Extending Database Technology (EDBT) 2000, pages 86–100, 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.B. Nguyen, S. Abiteboul, G. Cobena, and A. Marian. Monitoring xml data on the web. In SIGMOD, 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Daniel Oberle and Raphael Volz. Implementation of a view mechanism for ontology-based metadata. Technical report, University of Karlsruhe (TH), 2002. http://www.aifb.unikarlsruhe.de/WBS/dob/pubs/KAON-Views.pdf.Google Scholar
- 11.Raphael Volz, Daniel Oberle, and Rudi Studer. Views for light-weight web ontologies. In ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC), Orlando, Florida, pages 1168–1173, March 2003.Google Scholar