Secondary bifurcations of stationary flows
- 599 Downloads
Numerical investigations of stationary Taylor vortex flows with periodic boundary conditions led Meyer-Spasche/Wagner  to speculate that there is a curve of loci of secondary bifurcations in the (period, Reynolds number)-plane which connects two double points, i.e. two intersection points of neutral curves of flows with different numbers of vortices (n-vortex flows, n = 2, 4, and a double vortex flow). Lortz et al.  proved analytically the existence of such a curve for a model problem derived from the equations of the Boussinesq approximation, and also the existence of a second such curve.
It remained unclear then if the results carry over to the full Boussinesq system and thus to the narrow-gap approximation, and how the results generalize to flows with other numbers of vortices. These questions were treated in . In the present contribution we continue these investigations and present computations that justify speculations in  about the structure of other secondary interactions. We also present a curve of Hopf bifurcation points which was found in the course of computations discussed here, as a by-product.
KeywordsRayleigh Number Bifurcation Point Double Point Critical Curve Convection Roll
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.J.H. Bolstad: Following paths of symmetry-breaking bifurcation points. LLNL Tech. Rep. UCRL-99530, 1988; Int. J. Bif. Chaos 3 (1992) 559-576Google Scholar
- 3.J.H. Bolstad: Following paths of pitchfork bifurcation points. LLNL Tech. Rep. UCRL-JC-110570, 1992Google Scholar
- 4.J.H. Bolstad: Following paths of transcritical bifurcation points. LLNL Tech. Rep. UCRL-JC-113312, March, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.K. Gatermann, B. Werner: ‘Secondary Hopf bifurcation caused by steady-state steady-state mode interaction’. In: Pattern Formation: Symmetry Methods and Applications ed. by J. Chadam et al., Fields Institute Comm. 5, 1996Google Scholar
- 9.H.B. Keller: Numerical solution of bifurcation and nonlinear eigenvalue problems. 359–384 in Applications of Bifurcation Theory. P. Rabinowitz, ed., (Academic Press, New York 1977)Google Scholar
- 12.D. Lortz, R. Meyer-Spasche, P. Petro.: A global analysis of secondary bifurcations in the Bénard problem and the relationship between the Bénard and Taylor problems. Methoden und Verfahren der mathematischen Physik 37 (Verlag Peter Lang, Frankfurt a.M., 1991) pp. 121–142Google Scholar
- 13.R. Meyer-Spasche, M. Wagner: The basic (n, 2n)-fold of steady axisymmetric Taylor vortex flows. In: The Physics of Structure Formation, ed. by W. Güttinger, G. Dangelmayr (Springer, Berlin, New York 1987) pp. 166–178Google Scholar
- 14.R. Meyer-Spasche: Pattern Formation in Viscous Flows, ISNM vol. 128, (Birkhäuser, Basel, Boston 1999)Google Scholar
- 16.J.H. Wilkinson: Rounding Errors in Algebraic Processes, Her Magesty’s Stationery Office, 1963, Springer Verlag 1969, Dover Reprint 1994Google Scholar