Taylor vortices at different geometries
- 650 Downloads
Flow fields between differently shaped bodies of revolution are studied. These bodies are rotating cones with different apex angles, cylinder-cone combinations, disks as well as oblate and prolate ellipsoids. The basic flow are fully three-dimensional and influence the occurring instabilities. The dependence of the occurrence and the development of Taylor vortices, Görtler vortices and cross-flow instabilities on the described geometries are discussed. By separating the influence of the dynamics and the geometry on the vortices the effect of both parameters can be studied separately. Due to the simultaneous existence of sub- and supercritical flows the development at the threshold can be studied very clearly. Furthermore, the rich variety of occuring flow patterns - often existing side by side - offers new insides in unstable flows. A possible transition from counter-rotating Taylor vortices to unidirectional-rotating cross-flow instabilities is described. The influence of the governing parameters, like acceleration, gap width etc. are discussed.
KeywordsApex Angle Taylor Number Axial Extension Taylor Vortex Prolate Ellipsoid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Wimmer, M.:Viscous flowflow and instabilities near rotating bodies. Prog. Aerospace Sci. 25, 43–103 (1988).Google Scholar
- 7.Wimmer, M.: Wirbelbehaftete Strömungen im Spalt zwischen Zylinder-Kegel-Kombinationen. Strömungsmechanik und Strömungsmaschinen, Universität Karlsruhe, 44, 59–83 (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.Wimmer, M.: ‘Vortex patterns between cones and cylinders’. In: Ordered and turbulent patterns in Taylor-Couette flow. Eds.: C. D. Andereck, F. Hayot. NATO ASI Series B. Physics 297, Plenum Press N. Y. 205–211 (1992).Google Scholar
- 11.Wimmer, M., Zierep, J.: Transition from Taylor vortices to cross-flow instabilities. Acta Mech. (to appear: 2000).Google Scholar
- 14.Wimmer, M.: Strömungen zwischen rotierenden Ellipsen. ZAMM 69, 616–619 (1989).Google Scholar
- 16.Rafique, M.: Contribution a lécoulement entre deux cylindres coaxiaux a entrefer constant et a entrefer ondule par la surface du cylindre interieur tournant. Ph. D. Thesis, INPL, Nancy (1999)Google Scholar