The Tetrahedral Tripod
- 701 Downloads
The Tetrahedral-Tripod is a novel spatial, parallel-link manipulator that offers pure translational motion. In this paper we describe the ideas leading to the development of low degree-of-freedom parallel link mechanisms for use in machine tool applications. The tetrahedral tripod offers superior theoretical characteristics by admitting closed-form solutions for its kinematics and dynamics. Further, its motion and mechanical construction are simple while offering high stiffness and accuracy. It offers a relatively large, singularity-free workspace. It may be used as the basis of a 3-axis machine tool. When used in conjunction with a universal table, it offers the potential for a stiff and accurate 5-axis, series-parallel machine tool. Keywords. Parallel link manipulators, Stewart platform, Machine tools.
KeywordsParallel link manipulators Stewart platform Machine tools
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fitzgerald J 1993 Evaluating the Stewart Platform for Manufacturing. ROBOTICS TODAY6Google Scholar
- 2.Merlet J-P 1990 An Algorithm for the Forward Kinematics for General 6 D.O.F Parallel Manipulators. Technical Report 1331, INRI, France, NovemberGoogle Scholar
- 3.Raghavan M 1991 The Stewart Platform of General Geometry has 40 Configurations. Advances in Design Automation 2: 397 - 402Google Scholar
- 5.Tsai L-W, Walsh G, Stamper R 1996 Kinematics of a Novel Three DOF Translational Platform. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, April, pp. 3446 - 3451Google Scholar
- 6.ElKhasawneh B 1997 Design and Analysis of Parallel Link Machine Tools. Ph.D Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana ChampaignGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tajbakhsh H 1997 Accuracy and Calibration of Conventional and Parallel Link Machine Tools. Ph.D Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana ChampaignGoogle Scholar