Application of Bovine Macrophage Bioassays in the Analysis of Toxic Agents in Complex Environmental Mixtures
- 80 Downloads
The pulmonary alveolar macrophage (PAM) plays a primary role in the defense of the lung against inhaled particulate matter. Fine particles deposited in the nonciliated regions of the lung are rapidly phagocytized and, if of biological origin, are rapidly killed and metabolized. In recent years, concern has focused on the effects of anthropogenic particulate matter with an emphasis on the PAM toxicity of trace metals and combustion products. Generally, however, previous efforts have described the utility of PAM derived from standard laboratory-animal models. In this report, we describe the methodology and application of the bovine PAM in the in vitro evaluation of metal and particulate toxicity.
KeywordsGlass Bead Soluble Fraction Particle Fraction Test Particle Volume Medium Diameter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fisher, G.L., and K.L. McNeill. 1979. Effects of sera on the in vitro function of pulmonary alveolar macrophages. UCD 472–125. National Technical Information Service: Springfield, VA. pp. 56–58.Google Scholar
- Fisher, G.L., K.L. McNeill, G.L. Finch, F.D. Wilson, and D.W. Golde. (MS) Functional evaluation of lung macrophages from cigarette smokers and nonsmokers.Google Scholar
- Fisher, G.L., K.L. McNeill, C.B. Whaley, and J. Fong. 1978a. Attachment and phagocytosis studies with murine pulmonary alveolar macrophages. J. Reticuloendothel. Soc. 24:243–252.Google Scholar
- Fisher, G.L., and D.F.S. Natusch. 1979. Size-dependence of the physical and chemical properties of fly ash. Analytical Methods for Coal and Coal Products, Volume III. C. Karr, ed. Academic Press: New York. pp. 489–541.Google Scholar
- McFarland, A.R., and D.C. Russell. 1981. Design and calibration of a stack sampler for oil fly ash. Texas A & M Air Quality Laboratory publication no. 4126–01–07–81-ARM: College Station, TX.Google Scholar
- Valentine, R., W. Goettlich-Riemann, G.L. Fisher, and R.B. Rucker. 1981. An elastase inhibitor from isolated bovine pulmonary macrophages. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 168:238–244.Google Scholar