Just over a century after the discovery of radioactivity by Becquerel and of new elements by the Curies, we have begun to master the techniques of performing experiments with radioactive beams. And, of course, the search for other new elements goes on. At the same time the exploitation of γ-ray arrays of increasing power pushes observation limits lower and lower in the search for new phenomena at high spins. Ancillary devices, capable of giving cleaner channel selection, also permit the study of higher-mass systems and of more exotic charge-to-mass ratios even with stable beams.
A personal selection of some of the topics of interest will be presented, as well as some comments on how relatively simple detection systems can still make major contributions to our understanding of nuclear structure and reactions.
KeywordsNuclear Structure Exotic Nucleus Radioactive Beam Proton Emission Calcium Isotope
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ch. Miehe et al., Proc. of Int. Symp. on New facets of spin giant resonances in nuclei, Tokyo, Japan 1997, Eds. H.Sakai, H. Okamura and T. Wakasa, (World Scientific, 1998) 140Google Scholar
- S. Hofmann, Recent results from SHIP, Proc. of the VI Int. School-Seminar on Heavy Ion Physics, Dubna, September 1997, Eds. Yu. Ts. Oganessian and R. Kalpakchieva (World Scientific, Singapore, 1998) 385Google Scholar
- Yu. Ts. Oganessian et al., Synthesis of superheavy nuclei in the 48Ca + 244Pu reaction, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett.; Preprint JINR, E7–99–53Google Scholar
- H.Geissel, T.Radon et al., CP455, ENAM 98: Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Exotic Nuclei and Atomic Masses, Eds. B.M. Sherrill, D.J. Morrissey, and Cary N. Davids, 1998, The American Institute of Physics 1–56396–804–5/98;Google Scholar
- O. Burglin and N. Rowley, Details of nuclear masses away from stability: Pairing and deformation effects, Int. Symp. on Exotic Nuclear Shapes, Debrecen, May 1997, Heavy Ion Phys. 6 (1997) 189Google Scholar
- A. Kelic et al., submitted to Phys. Rev. and Strasbourg Preprint IReS 98–23;Google Scholar
- M.G.Itkis et al., Proc. of INPC 98 Conference, Paris, August 1998, Nucl.Phys. A in pressGoogle Scholar
- F.M. Marqués, M. Labiche, N.A. Orr et al., submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett., LPC Report LPCC-99–13Google Scholar
- S.M. Polikanov, Soc. Phys. JETP 15 (1962) 1016Google Scholar
- GAMMASPHERE Highlights Booklet, Ed. M.A. Riley, published by the Gammasphere Users Executive Committee (1998). See http://www-gam.lbl.gov
- M. Leino et al., XXXIII Zakopane School of Physics, Zakopane, Poland, 1–9 Sept. 1998 and to be published; R.-D. Herzberg et al., Verhandl. DPG 34 (1999) 153.Google Scholar