Palliation of breathlessness
- 102 Downloads
The semantics of breathlessness has the potential to cause confusion. The terms dyspnea (spelled dyspnoea in the United Kingdom), breathlessness, and shortness of breath are sometimes used interchangeably. I prefer to use the term breathlessness, since it is a word readily understood by patients and frequently used by them. A variety of definitions have been proffered, some physiological, others etiological or functional or in terms of quality of life. The one suggested by Guz is particularly attractive, since it highlights several important aspects including the fact that breathlessness is an occasional, normal phenomenon in healthy people:’ Breathlessness is that common feeling of an uncomfortable difficulty in breathing’ .
KeywordsChronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Palliative Care Airway Obstruction Malignant Pleural Effusion Opioid Drug
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Campbell EJM, Guz A. 1981 Breathlessness. In Hornbein TF (ed), Regulation of Breathing, unit 9, vol. 2. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1181–1192.Google Scholar
- 3.Saunders C. 1967. The Management of Terminal Illness. London: Edward Arnold.Google Scholar
- 7.Heyse-Moore LH. 1984. Dyspnoea. In Saunders C (ed), The Management of Terminal Malignant Disease. London: Edward Arnold, 113–118.Google Scholar
- 9.Heyse-Moore LH, Ross V, Mullee MA. 1991 How much of a problem is dyspnoea in advanced cancer? J R Soc Med 82:264–267.Google Scholar
- 24.Schwartzstein RM, Lahive K, Pope A, Weinberger SE, Woodrow Weiss J. Cold Facial Stimulation Reduces Breathlessness Induced in Normal Subjects, 1–4.Google Scholar
- 26.Wong PS, Goldstraw P. 1991 Pleuroperitoneal shunts. Br J Hosp Med 50:16–21Google Scholar
- 30.Rall TW. 1990. Drugs used in the treatment of asthma. In Goodman LS, Gillman A, Rall TW, et al. (eds), The Parmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 8th ed. New York: Pergamon Press, 618–630.Google Scholar
- 31.Rees PJ. 1991 Theophylline in the treatment of asthma. Br J Clin Pharmacol 45:9–10.Google Scholar
- 34.Stark RD, Gambles SA, Lewis JA. 1981 Methods to assess breathlessness in healthy subjects: a critical evaluation and aplication to analyse the acute effects of diazepam and promethazine on breathlessness induced by exercise or by exposure to raised levels of carbon dioxide. Clin Sci 61:429–439.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Hosaka M, Hoshiyama Y. 1996. Effects of diazepam on quality of life in patients receiving home oxygen therapy: a double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J Showa Med Assoc 56:522–529.Google Scholar
- 50.Davis C. 1996. The role of nebulized drugs in palliating respiratory symptoms of malignant disease. Eur J Palliat Care 2:12–15.Google Scholar