Over the past ten years, a group of protozoal diseases have been increasingly recognized as being venereally transmissible. Significant outbreaks of amebiasis and giardiasis have been reported from both California and New York. Available evidence strongly suggests that these two diseases are major problems within the homosexual male community.
KeywordsEntamoeba Histolytica Stool Examination York City Department Direct Smear Amebic Colitis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown HW: Basic Clinical Parasitology, ed 4. New York, Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1975, pp 18–45.Google Scholar
- 2.Most H: Manhattan: “A tropical isle?” Am J Trop Med 17: 333–354, 1968.Google Scholar
- 3.Kean BH: Venereal amebiasis. NY State J Med 76: 930–931, 1972.Google Scholar
- 6.Kean BH, William DC, Lumanais SK: Epidemic of amebiasis and giardiasis in a biased population. Br J Verier Dis 55: 375–378, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Amebiasis associated with colonic irrigation-Colrado. MMWR 13 (30a): 101–102, 1981.Google Scholar
- 10.Drugs for parasitic infections. Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics 21 (26): 105–106, 1979.Google Scholar