Virus-Immune T Cells and Monoclonal Antibodies in the Mouse Influenza Model
- 64 Downloads
Evidence has been accumulating over the past 10 years that a major factor in recovery from most acute virus infections is the cellular immune response mediated by T cells which are, when tested in vitro, cytotoxic for virus-infected target cells (reviewed in 1 and 2). The recent development of techniques for producing theoretically unlimited amounts of virus-specific monoclonal antibodies has raised the possibility that such reagents may prove to be of great therapeutic value (3,4). We wish to summarize here our current understanding of the possible interactions between monoclonal antibodies and virus-immune T cells in the influenza model. It will be obvious to the reader that these experiments are still at a very early stage, though some useful insights are emerging.
KeywordsInfluenza Virus Free Virus Influenza Immunity Acute Virus Infection Influenza Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Doherty, P.C. (1970) Prog. Immunol. 4, 563.Google Scholar
- 4.Gerhard, W.U., Yewdell, J., Frankel, M.E., Lopes, A.D. and Staudt, L. (1980) in “Monoclonal antibodies”, R.H. Kennett, T.J. McKearn and K.B. Bechtol, eds., Plenum Press, New York, p. 317.Google Scholar
- 6.Blanden, R.V. (1974) Transplant, Rev. 19, 56.Google Scholar
- 10.Zinkernagel, R.M. and Rosenthal, K.L. (1980) Immunol. Rev, 58, 134.Google Scholar
- 11.Kilbourne, E.D. (1975) “The Influenza Viruses and Influenza”, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- 20.Biddison, W.E., Shaw, S. and Nelson, D.L. (1979) J, Immunol. 122, 660.Google Scholar
- 22.Lopes, A.D. (1981) Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- 24.Doherty, P.C. and Gerhard, W. (1981) J. Neuroimmunol. 1, in press.Google Scholar
- 25.Mims, C.A. (1960) Brit. J. Exp. Path. 46, 586.Google Scholar
- 27.Greenspan, N. (1981) Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania.Google Scholar
- 30.Doherty, P.C. (1980) in “Strategies of Immune Regulation”, E. Sercarz and A. Cunningham, eds., Academic Press, New York, p. 103.Google Scholar