Methods for Thymidylate Synthase Pharmacodynamics: Serial Biopsy, Free and Total TS, FdUMP and dUMP, and H4PteGlu and CH2-H4PteGlu Assays
- 56 Downloads
This report details our methods for performance of the major parameters related to quantitation of TS inhibition resulting from fluoropyrimidine administration to patients, methods equally applicable to preclinical studies. Sampling of tumors before and after drug treatment is done by 4 mm disposable punch biopsy or forceps biopsy via subcutaneous tunneling. Homogenates are prepared using N2 or polytron-mincing. Cytosolic free TS is measured by either the tritium-release method for small biopsies or by [3H]FdUMP ligand-binding. FdUMP and dUMP are separated by DEAE-cellulose column and measured by competitive binding and [14C]dTMP synthesis by the Moran methods. Total, postFUra TS is measured by pre-incubation dissociation of FdUMP-bound TS after neutral charcoal removal of cytosolic ligands. H4PteGlu and CH2-H4PteGlu are measured by the Priest method using L. Casei TS. The materials and methods are described in sufficient detail to permit wide application of this approach.
KeywordsHomogenization Buffer Ehrlich Ascites Carcinoma Cell Thymidylate Synthetase Ternary Complex Formation Dissociation Buffer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Moran, R.G., Spears, C., and Heidelberger, C. Biochemical determinants of tumor sensitivity to 5-fluorouracil: ultrasensitive methods for the determination of 5-fluo ro-2’-deo xyuri dyl at e, 2’-deo xyuri dyl at e, and thymidylate synthetase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76: 1456–1460 (1979).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Spears, C.P. Thymidylate synthetase inhibition in Peyton adenocarcinoma xenografts following bolus 5-fluorouracil. Exerpta Med. Int. Congr. Series 647: 12–19 (1984).Google Scholar
- 4.Spears, C.P., Gustaysson, B.G., Mitchell, M.S., Spicer, D., Berne, M.. Bernstein, L., and Danenberg, P.V. Thymidylate synthetase inhibition in malignant tumors and normal liver of patients given bolus intravenous 5fluorouracil. Cancer Res. 44: 4144–4150 (1984).Google Scholar
- 6.Berne, M., Gustaysson, B., Almersjb, O., Spears, C.P., and Waldenstrbm, J. Concurrent allopurinol and 5-fluorouracil: 5-fluoro-2’-deoxyuridylate formation and thymidylate synthase inhibition in rat colon carcinoma and in regenerating rat liver. Cancer Chemother: Pharmacol. 20: 193–197 (1987).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Spears, C.P., Gustaysson, B.G., Berne, M., Frosing, R., and Hayes, A.A. Mechanisms of innate resistance to thymidylate synthase inhibition after 5fluorouracil. Cancer Res. 48: in press (1988).Google Scholar
- 8.Spears, C.P., Leichman, G., and Muggia, F.M. Acute and chronic thymidylate synthase inhibition in serial breast cancer biopsies from patients treated with fluorouracil plus high-dose leucovorin (Submitted, 1988 ).Google Scholar
- 14.Spears, C.P., Shani, J., Shahinian, A.H., Wolf, W., Heidelberger, C., and Danenberg, P.V. Assay and time course of 5-fluorouracil incorporation into RNA of L1210/0 cells in vivo. Mol. Pharmacol. 27: 302–307 (1984).Google Scholar
- 15.Houghton, J.A., Weiss, K.D., Williams, L.G., Torrance, P.M., and Houghton, P.J. Relationship between 5-fluoro-2’-deoxyuridylate, 2’-deoxyuridylate, and thymidylate synthase activity subsequent to 5-fluorouracil administration, in xenografts of human colon adenocarcinomas. Biochem. Pharmacol. 35: 1351–1358 (1986).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Spears, C.P., Gustaysson, B.G., and Frhsing, R. Folinic acid modulation of fluorouracil: kinetics of bolus administration. Invest. New Drugs 6: in press (1988).Google Scholar
- 21.Spears, C.P., Hayes, A.A., Danenberg, P.V., Frlsing, R., and Gustaysson, B.G. Deoxyuridylate effects on thymidylate synthase-5-fluorodeoxyuridylatefolate ternary complex formation (Submitted, 1988 ).Google Scholar