Lithium Effects on Granulopoiesis in Mice Following Cytotoxic Chemotherapy
- 60 Downloads
Recent clinical studies have suggested that administration of lithium may modify the duration of neutropenia in patients receiving chemotherapy for treatment of acute leukemia (Stein et al., 1978) and solid tumors (Stein et al., 1977; Lyman et al., 1978). Fehir and Rossof (1978) reported similar effects of lithium in dogs following administration of cyclophosphamide. The mechanisms by which lithium increases blood neutrophil concentrations are not completely understood. Neutrophilia is associated with increased marrow neutrophil production (Malloy et al., 1978; Rothstein et al., 1978), increased neutrophil progenitor cells (CFU-C) (Tisman et al., 1973; Joyce and Chervenick, 1979) and enhanced release of colony stimulating activity (CSA) (Joyce and Chervenick, 1975; Harker et al., 1977). The present studies describe changes in hematopoiesis during daily administration of lithium chloride (Li) to normal mice and report enhanced recovery of granulopoiesis following administration of cytotoxic drugs.
KeywordsCytotoxic Chemotherapy Lithium Chloride Colony Stimulate Activity Bone Marrow Neutrophil Pluripotent Hematopoietic Stem Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fehir, K.M. and Rossof, A.H., 1977, Lithium carbonate protects canine granulopoiesis from damage by cyclophosphamide, Clin. Res. 26:434A.Google Scholar
- Joyce, R.A. and Chervenick, P.A., 1975, Effect of lithium on the release of colony-stimulating activity from blood leukocytes, Proc. Am. Soc. Hematol. 18:126.Google Scholar
- Joyce, R.A. and Chervenick, P.A., 1979, Lithium effects on granulopoiesis following vinblastine, Clin. Res. 27:388A.Google Scholar
- Lyman, G.H., Williams, C.C., and Preston, D., 1978, A prospective randomized study of the effect of lithium carbonate on the granulocytopenia and incidence of infection associated with intensive chemotherapy and radiation therapy for undifferentiated small cell bron-chogenic carcinoma, Blood 52:228 (Supplement 1).Google Scholar
- Malloy, E.L., Zauber, N.P., and Chervenick, P.A., 1978, The effect of lithium on blood and marrow neutrophils, Blood 52:228 (Supplement 1).Google Scholar
- Stein, R.S., Flexner, J.M., and Graber, S., 1978, Lithium and granulocytopenia during induction therapy of acute myelogenous leukemia, Blood 52:277 (Supplement 1).Google Scholar