Myelopoietic Modulation by Lithium: in vitro Experiments on its Mechanisms of Action in Man
- 60 Downloads
Various reports have described consistent elevation of granulocytes accompanying lithium administratioin in psychiatric patients (Mayfield and Brown, 1966; O’Connell, 1970; Shopsin et al., 1971). in 1975 Gupta et al. reported that lithium increased the leukocyte count in patients with Felty’s syndrome. They also documented increase in colony stimulating activity (CSA) active against murine bone marrow cells in the urine of these patients (Gupta et al., 1976). Recently, several authors have reported that lithium, when administered to patients with various malignancies, may ameliorate chemotherapy induced myelosuppression (Catane et al., 1976; Greco et al., 1976; Stein et al., 1977; Tisman, 1974; Tisman and Wu, 1977) and reduce the duration of granulocytopenia induced by chemotherapy in acute myeloid leukemia (Charron et al., 1977). Lithium has also been used to elevate leukocytes, platelets and hemoglobin levels in aplastic anemia with some success (Barrett et al., 1977).
KeywordsAcute Myeloid Leukemia Conditioned Medium Colony Formation Adherent Cell Aplastic Anemia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Catane, R., Kaufman, J., Mittelman, A., and Murphy, G.P., 1976, Attenuation of neutropenia from cancer chemotherapy, Proc. Am. Assoc. Clin. Oncol. 17:250.Google Scholar
- Greco, F.A., Bereton, H.D. and Pomerory, T., 1976, Lithium carbonate attenuation of neutropenia from cancer chemotherapy, Proc. Am. Assoc. Canc. Res. 17:250.Google Scholar
- Harker, C.W., Rothstein, G., Clarkson, D.W. and Athens, J.W., 1975, Stimulation of neutrophil production by lithium, Clin. Res. 23:103A.Google Scholar
- Joyce, R.A. and Chervenick, P.A., 1975, Effect of lithium on the release of colony stimulating activity (CSA) from blood leukocytes, Proc.Am.Soc.Hematol. 18:126 (Abstract).Google Scholar
- O’Connell, R.A., 1970, Leukocytosis during lithium carbonate treatment, Int. J. Pharmacopsychiatry 4:30.Google Scholar
- Spitzer, G., Verma, D.S., Barlogie, B., Beran, M., and Dicke, K.A., The augmentation in in vitro spontaneous meyloid colony formation by lithium: in vitro experiments on its mechanism of action, Canc. Res. 1979 (in press).Google Scholar
- Tisman, G., 1974, Lithium carbonate protection against drug-induced leukopenia in lymphosarcoma patients, ICRS 2:1509.Google Scholar
- Verma, D.S., Spitzer, G., Zander, A.R., Fisher, R., McCredie, K.B. and Dicke, K.A., 1979a, T-lymphocyte mediated augmentation and suppression of colony stimulating activity elaboration in man, Manuscript submitted.Google Scholar