Performance Analysis of Digital FM in Simulcast Environment
- 91 Downloads
A simulcast digital FM system in the presence of Rayleigh fading and additive white Gaussian noise exhibits performance floors, where increased signal strength does not reduce the errorrate. Results obtained both in the lab, using a radio channel simulator, and in the field show this performance. Effects of the speed of movement, transmitterfrequency offset, maximum frequency deviation, differential propagation delay, and relative strength of simulcast signals are investigated. The explanation of the observed floors is found in the generalization of the “FM click” theory.
The results presented herein have been utilized for contributing to the definition of Narrowband Personal Communication System (NPCS).
KeywordsSignal Strength Carrier Frequency Offset Frequency Offset Error Floor Performance Floor
- T. Hattori, K. Hirade, and F. Adachi, “Theoretical Studies of a Simulcast Digital Radio Paging System Using a Carrier Frequency Offset Strategy”, IEEE Trans. Vehic. Technol., vol. VT-29, pp 87–95, Feb. 1980.Google Scholar
- T. Hattori and S. Ogose, “A New Modulation Scheme for Multitransmitter Simulcast Digital Mobile Radio Communication”, IEEE Trans. Vehic. Technol., vol. VT-29, pp. 260–270, May 1980.Google Scholar
- T. Hattori, K. Kaneko, and T. Nagatsu, “Multitransmitter Simulcast Digital Signal Transmission System Using Waveform Offset Strategy”, Rev. Elec. Commun. Lab, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 299–307, 1982.Google Scholar
- S.O. Rice, “Noise in FM Receivers”, Chapter 25,pp. 375–424, in Proceedings, Symposium on Time Series Analysis, M. Rosenblatt (ed.) John Wiley & Sons, Inc., N.Y., 1963.Google Scholar
- R. Petrovic, W. Roehr, and D. Cameron, “Multicarrier Permutation Modulation for Narrowband PCS”, 3rd Virginia Tech. Symposium on Wireless Personal Communications, June 1993.Google Scholar
- W. Roehr, R. Petrovic, and D. Cameron, “A Narrowband PCS Advanced Messaging S ystem” , ibid.Google Scholar
- R. Petrovic, W. Roehr, and D. Cameron, “Multicarrier Modulation for Narrowband PCS”, IEEE Trans. on Vehic. Techn., accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- I. Korn, “M-ary Frequency Shift Keying with Limiter-Discriminator-Integrator Detector in Satellite Mobile Channel with Narrow Band Receiver Filter”, IEEE Trans, on Com., Oct. 1990, pp. 1771–1778.Google Scholar