Variational Calculus in the Space of Measures and Optimal Design
- 253 Downloads
The paper applies abstract optimisation principles in the space of measures within the context of optimal design problems. It is shown that within this framework it is possible to treat various design criteria and constraints in a unified manner providing a “universal” variant of the Kiefer-Wolfowitz theorem and giving a full spectrum of optimality criteria for particular cases. The described steepest descent algorithm uses the true direction of steepest descent and descends faster than the conventional sequential algorithms that involve renormalisation at every step.
Keywordsdesign of experiments gradient methods optimal design regression space of measures
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fedorov, V. V. (1972). Theory of Optimal Experiments. New York: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Ford, I. (1976). Optimal Static and Sequential Design: a Critical Review. PhD Thesis, Department of Statistics, University of Glasgow.Google Scholar
- Hille, E. and Phillips, R. S. (1957). Functional Analysis and Semigroups, Volume XXXI of AMS Colloquium Publications. Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society.Google Scholar
- Molchanov, I. and Zuyev, S. (1997). Variational analysis of functionals of a Poisson process. Rapport de Recherche 3302, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis. To appear in Math. Oper. Res. Google Scholar
- Molchanov, I. and Zuyev, S. (2000). Steepest descent algorithms in space of measures. To appear.Google Scholar
- Wu, C.-F. (1978b). Some iterative procedures for generating nonsingular optimal designs. Comm. Statist. Theory Methods A7 14, 1399–1412.Google Scholar