3DP and the Domestication of Supply Chains in the Future
- 149 Downloads
The purpose of this chapter is to provide an outlook on the future state of manufacturing in developed countries pertaining to supply chain management concerns. Supply chain demands and challenges are identified that stem from a predicted higher concentration of 3D printing and innovative production knowledge in localised innovative manufacturing clusters. The supply chain challenge is termed coopetition, which highlights the need for companies to collaborate and compete simultaneously depending on the market segment. This chapter further argues that 3D printing has the potential to become a key enabler for the circular economy model: tackling domestic waste issues via local manufacturing clusters. However, a major reconfiguration of the domestic supply chain structure including enhanced transparency of the waste material flow patterns is required to capitalise on the opportunity.
- Brandenburger, A., & Nalebuff, B. (1996). Co-opetition. New York, NY: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- CSC. (2012). 3D Printing and the future of manufacturing. Retrieved July 20, 2016, from http://www.csc.com/innovation/insights/92142-3d_printing_and_the_future_of_manufacturing?ref=Is.
- Despeisse, M., Baumers, M., Brown, P., Charnley, F., Ford, S. J., Garmulewicz, A., Knowles, S., Minshall, T. H. W., Mortara, L., Reed-Tsochas, F. P., & Rowley, J. (2017). Unlocking value for a circular economy through 3D printing: A research agenda. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 115, 75–84.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Milne, C. (2013). Manufacturing in Australia; does it have a future?. Australian Innovation. Retrieved March 2, 2017, from http www.ausinnovation.org/publications/vision-2020/advancing-australia/manufacturing-in-australia-does-it-have-a-future.html.
- Rylands, B., Böhme, T., Gorkin III, R., Fan, J., & Birtchnell, T. (2015). 3D printing – To print or not to print? Aspects to consider before adoption – A supply chain perspective. 22nd EurOMA Conference 2015. Neuchatel, Switzerland, June 26th–July 1st 2015.Google Scholar
- Wainwright, S. (2018). For a war on waste that can win. Green Left Weekly 1175, p. 3.Google Scholar