Contemporary Challenges in Public Sector Reporting
- 43 Downloads
Public sector accounting scholarship has witnessed enormous developments over the last decades. One area of scholarship is public sector accountability and public service accounting and reporting. Accountability in the public sector is a different, complex, chameleon-like and multifaced concept, encompassing several dimensions. With multiple stakeholders, the public sector requires a broader set of accountability forms, which goes beyond the scope of financial aspects, to include political, public, managerial, bureaucratic, professional, and personal accountability. In contemporary times the public sector needs to consider accounting and reporting on global and critical issues like climate change, sustainability, modern-day slavery, social inequality, taxation avoidance, biodiversity and ecological accounts. This chapter provides an overview of several developments in the past decades and reviews seven reporting frameworks that have been used for public sector reporting.
KeywordsPublic sector accountability Financial reporting Public sector reporting frameworks Integrated reporting Social and environmental reporting
- Adams, C., & Guthrie, J. (2005). Social and Environmental Reporting. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Brown, R., Ellwood, S., & Conrath-Hargreaves, A. (2018). The Conceptual Underpinnings of Recent Advances in International Public Sector Accounting Standards: Developing a Standard for Social Benefits, 22nd Annual Conference Financial Reporting and Business Communication, Bristol.Google Scholar
- Curristine, T. (2008). Performance Budgeting in OECD Countries, 6th Annual Meeting of Latin American Senior Budget Officials, Santiago, Chile, 28–31.Google Scholar
- European Union. (2014). Amending Directive 2013/34/EU as Regards Disclosure of Non-financial and Diversity Information by Certain Large Undertakings and Groups, 2014/95/EU. Available at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014L0095&from=EN/. Accessed 22 Oct 2019.
- Grossi, G., Kallio, K., Sargiaconomo, M., & Skoog, M. (2019). Accounting, Performance Management Systems, and Accountability Changes in Knowledge-Intensive Public Organizations: A Literature Review and Research Agenda. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 32, 23.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, J. (1998). Can Markets Save the Public Sector? Scotland: University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, J., & Parker, L. (1990). Corporate Social Disclosure Practice: A Comparative International Analysis. Advances in Public Interest Accounting, 3(1), 159–175.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, J., Humphrey, C., & Olson, O. (1998). International Experiences with New Public Financial Management Reforms: New World? Small World? Better World? In Global Warning: Debating International Developments in New Public Financial Management. Norway: Cappelen Adademisk Forlag.Google Scholar
- Guthrie, J., Rossi, F., Nicolo, G., & Orelli, R. (2020). Investigating Risk Disclosures in Italian Integrated Reports: Integrating Reporting and Risk Disclosure – Italian Experience. Meditari Accountancy Research, Forthcoming.Google Scholar
- Habek, P., & Wolniak, R. (2013). European Union Regulatory Requirements Relating to Sustainability Reporting. The Case of Sweden. Scientific Journals, 34(106), 40–47.Google Scholar
- IIRC, The International Integrated Reporting Council. (2013). International Framework. http://www.theiirc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/13-12- 08-THE-INTERNATIONAL-IR-FRAMEWORK-2-1.pdf. Accessed 29 Dec 2013.
- IIRC, The International Integrated Reporting Council. (2016). When? Advocate for Global Adoption. https://integratedreporting.org/when-advocate-forglobal-adoption/. Accessed 21 June 2017.
- Jacobs, K., & Cuganesan, S. (2014). Interdisciplinary Accounting Research in Public Sector: Dissolving Boundaries to Tackle Wicked Problems. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 32, 3.Google Scholar
- Kastberg, G., & Lagstrom, C. (2019). Processes of Hybridization and de-Hybridization: Organizing and the Task at Hand. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 1(1), 21–33.Google Scholar
- Kuroki, M., Hirose, Y., & Motokawa, K. (2018). Research on Local Government Reporting: Literature Analysis Using Text Mining. SSRN 3140932.Google Scholar
- Martin-Sardesai, A., & Guthrie, J. (2020). Social Report Innovation: Evidence from a Major Italian Bank 2007–2012. Meditari Accountancy Research.Google Scholar
- Miller, P., & Rose, N. S. (2008). Governing the Present: Administering Economic, Social and Personal Life. London/Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. (1995). Creating Public Value: Strategic Management in Government. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Moore, M. (2002). The Public Value Scorecard: A Rejoinder and an Alternative to Strategic Performance Measurement in Nonprofit Organizations, Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations, MA, USA.Google Scholar
- Parvez, M., Hazelton, J., & Guthrie, J. (2020). Integrated Reporting of Greenhouse Gases: Lessons from City-Based Greenhouse Gas Measurement and Reporting. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Perrin, B. (2003). Implementing the Vision: Addressing Challenges to Results Focused Management and Budgeting. Paris: OECD.Google Scholar
- Saliterer, I., Sicilia, M., & Steccolini, I. (2018). Public Budgets and Budgeting in Europe: State of the Art and Future Challenges. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Steccolini, I. (2019). Accounting and the Post-New Public Management: Reconsidering Publicness in Accounting Research. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 32 (1), 255–276.Google Scholar
- Talbot, C. (2010). Theories of Performance – Organizational and Service Improvement in the Public Domain. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Talbot, C. (2011). Strategy in Government – The UK Experience of Medium-Term and Outcome Centered Budgeting 1997–2010. London: Edward Elgar.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2019). Sustainable Development Goals. Available at https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/. Accessed 29 Oct 2019.