Raman’s Discovery in Historical Context
- 1.5k Downloads
In this introductory chapter a short historical description of C.V. Raman himself and of the effect which bears his name will be given. Based on various publications from Indian colleagues, some remarkable facts on Raman as well as on his discovery are highlighted. Following an illustrated description of how the first “Raman light” was detected using the sunlight as an excitation source , the way in which the 1930 Nobel prize winner has been recognized worldwide by his physics colleagues is recounted. Furthermore, some important contributions to the theoretical and experimental developments after the discovery are pointed out. As is well known, the introduction of the laser as a light source brought about a renaissance in Raman spectroscopy. A short list detailing some of the remarkable progress in laser Raman spectroscopy is then provided.
W.K. thanks the Raman Research Institute in Bangalore for providing the interview film and the audio of Raman’s lectures.
- 1.G. Venkataraman, Journey into Light: Life and Science of C.V. Raman (Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 1988). https://books.google.nl/books?id=YaTvAAAAMAAJ
- 2.S. Ramaseshan, C.R. Rao (eds.), C.V. Raman, A Pictoral Biography (Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 1998)Google Scholar
- 3.U. Ghatak, S. Mukherjee, A. Chaudhuri, S. Banerjee, S. Bhattacharyya, S. Goch, M. Bagchi, A Century (Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, Calcutta, 1980)Google Scholar
- 5.K.W.F. Kohlrausch, Der Smekal-Raman-Effekt, vol. 12 (Springer, 1931)Google Scholar
- 8.C.V. Raman, The diamond. A private book published by the author containing a collection of journal publications on the diamond. An electronic version is available from email@example.comGoogle Scholar
- 9.C.V. Raman, in Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences-Section B, vol. 58 (Springer, Berlin, 1963), pp. 104–113Google Scholar
- 10.C.V. Raman, The Physiology of Vision (Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore, 1968)Google Scholar
- 11.G. Placzek, Rayleigh-Streuung und Raman-Effekt (Akad. Verlag-Ges, An electronic version is available from firstname.lastname@example.org, 1934), pp. 275–374Google Scholar
- 13.H. Moser, Colloquium über Ramaspektroskopie. cited in  (1955)Google Scholar
- 14.J. Brandmüller, H. Moser, Einführung in die Ramanspektroskopie (Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag, 1962)Google Scholar