Optimization of Wave Energy Absorber of an Attenuator OWC Device with an Air Turbine
- 369 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to establish the optimum design method of a combined system of a primary energy converter with a secondary energy converter of an attenuator OWC (Oscillating Water Column) device as a wave energy extractor which floats in waves, taking account of bottom plate and phase control.
The precise estimation of the characteristics of a primary energy converter depends only on the accuracy of the prediction of the hydrodynamics. Then, in order to get the accurate prediction of the hytdrodynamics, the authors carry out the experiments with regard to the hydrodynamics on each. oscillating water column and on the whole device, and the authors develop the precise calculation method and the simple calculation method which correspond to the experimental results. Then the authors compose the mathematical model which represents the characteristics of the primary energy converter by the use of the above mentioned prediction method of the hydrodynamics. This mathematical model is applied to optimization of the system.
The conbination of the Wells turbine and generator is considered as the secondary energy converter. The published data of power charcteristics of a secondary energy converter is used in this paper. The authors analyze the characteristics of absorbed wave power of the conbined system of these kind of a secondary energy converter and a primary energy converter. Then the authors propose the optimum design method of the combined system of a primary energy converter with a secondary energy converter.
KeywordsWave Height Wave Energy Bottom Plate Phase Control Energy Converter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Maeda, H., Kinoshita, T., Kato, S. and Suzuki, F: Fundamentl Research on Absorbing Energy from Ocean Waves (3rd report), J. of Soc. of Naval Arch. of Japan, Vol. 150 (1981)Google Scholar
- 2).Maeda, H., Kinoshita, T., Masuda, K., Hayashi, H. and Kato, W.: Fundamental Research on Absorbing Energy from Ocean Waves (5th report), J. of Soc. of Naval Atch. of Japan, Vol. 152 (1983)Google Scholar
- 3).Maeda, H., Kinoshita, T., Masuda, K. and Kato, W.: Fundamental Research on Oscillating Water Column Wave Power Absorbers, 3rd International Symposium on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME (1984)Google Scholar
- 4).Maeda, H., Masuda, K. and Hayashi, H.: Fundamental Research on Attenuator Type OWC Wave Energy Absorber, ECOR International Conference (1984)Google Scholar
- 5).Kinoshita, T., Saijo, K. and Yokomizo, H.: Theoretical Analysis of Performance of Kaimei for Wave Power Absorber, J. of Kansai Soc. of Naval Arch. of Japan, Vol. 187 (1982)Google Scholar
- 6).Kudo, K., Nakato, M. and Miyazaki, A.: Optimum Design of External Load Condition in the KAIMEI Type Wave Power Absorber, J. of Soc. of Naval Arch. of Japan, Vol. 153 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7).Count, B.M. and Miyazaki, T.: Study on Floating Attenuator Wave Energy Devices, J. of Soc. of Naval Arch. of Japan, Vol. 155 (1984)Google Scholar
- 8).Ishii, S., Masuda, Y., Miyazaki, T., Kudo, K., Hotta, H. and Washio, Y.: The Report on Operation and Sea Trial of the Shore Fixed Type Air Turbine Wave Power Generator, Tech. Reports of JAMSTEC, No. 14, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9).Arakawa, C., Suzuki, M. and Kinoshita, T.: On the Fixed Type OWC Device with Wells Turbine, (1st report, Initial design method), Proc. of Meeting of Japan Society of Mech. Eng., No. 832–12, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10).Kinoshita, T., Masuda, K., Miyajima, S. and Kato, W.: Research of the System Simulation for a Fixed OWC Type Wave Energy Absorber, International Symposium on Ocean Space Utilization (Ocean Space ‘85), Tokyo, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11).Count,B.M.:On the Physic of Absorbing Energy from Ocean Waves, PhD Thesis (1982)Google Scholar
- 12).Kudo, K.:Optimum Design of Kaimei Type Wave Power Absorber, J. of Soc. of Naval Arch. of Japan, Vol. 156 (1984)Google Scholar