Coherence and Fluctuation of Light from Rough Surface Scattering
- 520 Downloads
The subject of scattering of electromagnetic waves from a rough surface has been an active research area for a long time. Simple results have been obtained only in two limiting cases. One occurs when the radii of curvature of the surface structure are much larger than the wavelength and the angle of incidence is not large. In this case Beckmann’s theory, which is based on the Kirchhoff approximation, has been successfully used. The other case occurs when the surface is almost, but not quite flat (shallow roughness). In this case perturbation theory yields reliable answers. Recently, one of the most interesting phenomena associated with coherence in rough surface scattering is the enhanced backscattering Similarly there are enhanced reflection and enhanced transmission.
We have also studied the angular correlation function of speckles, which shows another example of coherence and fluctuations of light from rough surface scattering and verifies the property given by the enhanced backscattering phenomena.
KeywordsRough Surface Correlation Function Glass Substrate Memory Effect Speckle Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 12.J. W. Goodman, in Laser Speckle and Related Phenomena, J.C. Dainty, ed. ( Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1984 ).Google Scholar
- 19.M.P. van Albada, J.F. de Boer, and A. Lagendijk, Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, 27872790 (1990).Google Scholar
- 20.A.Z. Genack, in Scattering and Localization of Classical Waves in Random Media, P. Sheng, ed. ( World Scientific, Singapore, 1990 ).Google Scholar
- 21.A.R. McGurn and A.A. Maradudin, Phys. Rev. B 39, 13,160–13, 168 (1989).Google Scholar
- 22.M. Nieto-Vesperinas, J.A. Sanches-Gil, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A10, 150–157 (1993).Google Scholar
- 24.M.E. Knotts, T.R. Michel, and K.A. O’Donnell, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A9, 18221831 (1992).Google Scholar
- 25.A. Arsenieva and S. Feng, Phys. Rev. B 47, 13047–13050 0993 ).Google Scholar
- 28.A.A. Maradudin, J.Q. Lu, T. Michel, Z.H. Gu, J.C. Dainty, A.J. Sant, E.R. Mendez, and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Waves in Random Media 1, S129- S142 (1991)Google Scholar
- 29.J.Q. Lu and Z.H. Gu, Appl. Opt. 36, No. 19,4562–4569 (1997).Google Scholar
- 30.V. Malyshkin, A.R. McGurn, T.A. LesKova, A.A. Maradudin and M. Nieto-Vesperinas, Waves in Random Media 7 479–520 (1997).Google Scholar
- 31.J.A. Sanchez-Gil, A.A. Maradudin, J.Q. Lu, and V.R. Freilikher, J. Mod. Opt. 43, 435–452 (1996).Google Scholar