Lessons from a Community-Based Process in Regional Sustainability Indicator Selection: The Case of the Regional Vancouver Urban Observatory
- 452 Downloads
From October 2005 to April 2006, the Regional Vancouver Urban Observatory (RVu) conducted the most comprehensive public engagement process that the Vancouver region has had to date for the purpose of deriving key indicators of sustainable development. The RVu study group process was an original design to draw out new and unique ideas about best measures of sustainability from Vancouver residents. A diversity of residents from all walks of life participated in the process. This chapter describes the process undertaken and offers a critical assessment of the experience of participants in the process. The RVu case offers proof that citizen volunteers are willing and able to take on a complex and lengthy engagement process that requires integrated thinking, leadership, commitment, dedication, and lacks a very clear political channel or immediate means for policy uptake. This kind of process could be further refined and supported in order to improve and make more predictable and rewarding the policy outcomes and reinforce the characteristics and citizenship values of participants.
KeywordsSustainability Indicator Triangle Group Indicator Project View Event Study Group Theme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Edmonds, D., & Abrams, P. (2006, September). A preliminary set of indicators for social sustainability in the greater Vancouver region. Vancouver: Sustainable Region Initiative Social Action Team.Google Scholar
- Holden, M. (2006). Sustainable seattle: The case of the prototype sustainability indicator project. In M. J. Sirgy, D. Rahtz, D. Swain, & C. Paterson (Eds.), Community quality-of-life indicators: Best cases. Social Indicators Research Series (Vol. 26, pp. 177–201). New York: Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Meadows, D. H. (1998). Indicators and information systems for sustainable development. Hartland Four Corners, VT: The Sustainability Institute.Google Scholar
- Phillips, R. (2005). Community indicators measuring systems. Aldershot: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Regional Vancouver Urban Observatory (RVu).(2005). RVu study group workbook: Our view of the region. Vancouver RVu.Google Scholar
- Regional Vancouver Urban Observatory (RVu).(2006). Counting on Vancouver: Our view of the region. Vancouver RVu.Google Scholar
- UN Habitat. (2006). A guide to setting up an urban observatory. Nairobi: UN Habitat.Google Scholar
- Vancouver Foundation. (2006). Vancouver’s VitalSigns 2006. Vancouver Foundation.Google Scholar
- Vancouver Foundation. (2007). Metro Vancouver’s VitalSigns 2007. Vancouver Foundation.Google Scholar