Deflation and Humidity During the Last 700 Ka in NW Africa from the Marine Record
- 352 Downloads
Freshwater diatoms from a core off Cape Blanc have been used to reconstruct atmospheric circulation and climate on the African continent. Maxima in freshwater diatoms occurred mainly in the late phase of interglacial stages. From the freshwater diatom record it can be inferred that intertropical aridity and increased wind strength was initiated just prior to global icegrowth.
KeywordsTrade Wind Glacial Stage Freshwater Diatom Interglacial Stage Hole 658A
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dupont, L.M., Beug, H.-J., Stalling, H., and Tiedemann, R., in press. Initial palynological results of ODP 661, 659 and 658: Pollen as climate indicators. Init. Repts. ODP Leg 108. Vol. B. Google Scholar
- Gasse, F., Stabell, B., Iperen, J. Van, and Fourtanier, E., in press. Freshwater diatom influx in intertropical Atlantic; relationships with continental records from Africa. Quat. Res. Google Scholar
- Imbrie, J., Hays, J.D., Martinson, D.G., Mcintyre, A., Mix, A.C., Morley, J.J., Pisias, N.G., Prell, W.L., and Shackleton, N. J., 1984. The orbital theory of Pleistocene climate: support from a revised chronology of the marine Ù18O record. in Berger, A.L. et al. (Eds.), Milankovitch and Climate. Part 1, D. Reidel Publ. Company, 269–305.Google Scholar
- Kalu, A. E., 1979. The African dust plume: Its characteristics and propagation across West Africa in winter. in C. Morales (Ed.), Saharan Dust, Mobilization, Transport, Deposition. Wiley, Chichester, pp. 95–118.Google Scholar
- Ruddiman, W., Sarnthein, M., Baldauf, J., et al., 1988. Proc., Init. Repts. (pt. A), ODP, 108. Google Scholar
- Sarthein, M., Erlenkeuser, H., and Zahn, R., 1982. Termination I: The response of continental climate in the subtropics as recorded in deep-sea sediments. Bulletin Institut Géologique du Bassin d’Aquitaine 31, 393 - 407.Google Scholar
- Sarnthein, M. and Tiedemann, R., in press. Towards a high-resolution stable isotope stratigraphy of the last 3.3 Million years, ODP Sites 658 and 659 off Northwest Africa. Init. Repts. ODP Leg 108. Vol. B. Google Scholar
- Stabell, B., in press. Initial diatom record of ODP Sites 657 and 658; On the history of upwelling and continental aridity. Init. Repts. ODP Leg 108. Vol. B. Google Scholar