Tissue Culture Induced Variation in Oats
- 72 Downloads
Genetic and cytogenetic variation appears as a common feature in plants derived from tissue cultures of oats, just as has been reported for cell and tissue culture derived plants of a wide array of species. Hundreds of papers including numerous reviews have been written describing this variation and speculating on its origin(1,2,3,4). The objectives of the studies described here were to further document the occurrence, frequency, and types of variation in oat plants regenerated from tissue culture, to investigate the origin of this variation, and to explore the value of this variation in oat improvement.
KeywordsTissue Culture Chromosome Breakage Pericentromeric Heterochromatin Pachytene Chromosome Numerous Review
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Larkin PJ and WR Scowcroft: In, T Kosuge, CP Meredith and A Hollaender (eds), Genetic Engineering of Plants. Plenum, New York. pp. 289–314, 1983.Google Scholar
- 4.Orton TJ: Adv. Plant Pathol. 2, 153–189, 1984.Google Scholar
- 6.McCoy TJ, RL Phillips and HW Rhines: Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 24, 37–50, 1982.Google Scholar
- 7.Lima-de-Faria A: In, A Lima-de-Faria (ed.), Handbook of Molecular Cytology. North Holland Publishing, Amsterdam, pp. 277–325, 1969.Google Scholar
- 8.Johnson SS: MS Thesis, University of Minnesota, 1985.Google Scholar
- 9.Benzion G: PhD Thesis, University of Minnesota, 1984.Google Scholar
- 9.Benzion G, RL Phillips and HW Rines: In, I Vasil (ed.), Plant Regeneration and Genetic Variability in vitro: Oats and Maize. Academic Press, Orlando, Florida (in press).Google Scholar
- 11.Armstrong KC, C Nakamura and WA Keller: Z. Pflanzenziichtg. 91, 233–245, 1983.Google Scholar
- 12.Lapitan NLV, RG Sears and BS Gill: Theor. Appi. Genet. 68, 547–554, 1984.Google Scholar
- 13.Sears ER: In, Proc. 2nd International Wheat Genetics Symposium, Stockholm, pp. 370–381, 1966.Google Scholar
- 14.Rajhathy T and H Thomas: Cytogenetics of oats (Avena L.), Misc. Pubi. Genet. Soc. Canada No. 2, 1974.Google Scholar