Kinetics of Shear Induced Crystallization
- 457 Downloads
In this lecture it will be shown how it was accomplished to unravel the kinetics of shear induced crystallization of i-PP by a series of novel experiments. In this connection the method of short-term shearing gained a central position. It enabled a practical separation of the period, in which precursors were formed under influence of shear, from the later period of lateral lamellar growth. The findings of the latter period permitted safe conclusions with respect to the processes occurring in the shear period. The influences of molar mass distributions and a nucleation agent are discussed.
KeywordsShear Rate Wall Shear Rate Molar Mass Distribution Shear Treatment Oriented Layer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Van der Vegt, A.K. and Smit, P.P.A. (1967) Crystallization Phenomena in Flowing Polymers, Soc. Chem. Ind. London, 26, 313.Google Scholar
- 3.Janeschitz-Kriegl, H., Wimberger-Friedl, R., Krobath, G. and Liedauer, S. (1987) On the Development of Layer Structures in Plastics Mouldings (in German), Kautschuk + Gummi, Kunststoffe 40, 301.Google Scholar
- 8.Larsen, Â., Hände, O. and Gedde, U. (April 1991) Experiments in Shear-Induced Crystallization under Isothermal Boundary Conditions, Proceedings 7-th Annual Meeting, PPS, Hamilton Ontario, Canada,.Google Scholar
- 9.e.g. Bird, R.B. , Armstrong, R.C. and Hasager, Ole, Dynamics of Polymeric Liquids 2nd ed., Vol. 1, p. 171.Google Scholar
- 10.Liedauer, S., Eder, G., Janeschitz-Kriegl, H. , Jerschow, P., Geymayer, W. and Ingolic, E. (1993) On the Kinetics of Shear Induced Crystallization of Polypropylene, Int. Polym. Processing, 8, 236.Google Scholar
- 11.Jerschow, P. (July 1994) Crystallization of Polypropylene, New Experiments, Evaluation Methods and Choice of Material Compositions, Doctoral thesis, Linz Univ.Google Scholar
- 12.Liedauer, S., Eder, G. and Janeschitz-Kriegl, H. On the Limitations of Shear Induced Crystallization in Polypropylene Melt, submitted to Intern. Polym. Processing.Google Scholar
- 13.Eder, G., Janeschitz-Kriegl, H., Liedauer, S. and Ratajski, E. (July 4–7, 1994) Polymer Solidification under the Influence of Heat Transfer and Flow, abstracts EPS’94,, Eindhoven, NL.Google Scholar
- 15.Jerschow, P., unpublished work.Google Scholar